Leova District is a district in the central part of Moldova, bordering Romania, with the administrative center at Leova. As of 1 January 2011, its population was 53,800.
Why visiting us?
Localities with the oldest documentary attestation of the district are: Tigheci, Tochile Raducani, Leova, they are first attested in the years 1436-1489 period. In the 16th and 17th centuries, most of all to develop trade, agriculture and there is a significant population increase
During this period the Tirgul Sarata (Leova today), is developing intensively. In 1812, after the Russo-Turkish War (1806-1812), is the occupation of Basarabia, Russian Empire during this period (1812–1917), there is an intense russification of the native population. In 1918 after the collapse of the Russian Empire, Bessarabia united with Romania in this period (1918–1940, 1941–1944), the district is part of the Lăpușna County. In 1940 after Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty, Basarabia is occupied by the USSR. In 1991 as a result of the proclamation of Independence of Moldova, part and residence of the Lăpușna County (1991–2003), and in 2003 became administrative unit of Moldova.
Typical European fauna, with the presence of such mammals such as foxes, hedgehogs, deer, wild boar, polecat, wild cat, ermine and others. Of birds: partridges, crows, eagles, starling, swallow and more.
The main river is the Prut River, which crosses the western district in favor of Romania. Its main tributary of the Sarata River that crosses the district is. Most lakes are artificial origin.