Cahul is a district in the south of Moldova, with the administrative center at Cahul. As of January 2014 estimates, Cahul District had a population of 124,700.
Why visiting us?
The district has been inhabited since the Stone Age (50-45,000 BC). Two ancient settlements were founded around 1300 BC; archaeologists have found items belonging to the Bronze Age (15th-13th centuries BC). According to estimates of specialists, another village was established here around 300-400 BC. That has been confirmed by the remains of houses burned and the fragments of clay pots.
In the 16th and 17th centuries, the economy developed in agriculture, winery, and trade, along with an increase in population. On August 1, 1770, near Cahul lake, the Battle of Cahul took place (Russo-Turkish War, 1768-1774). It was the most important land battle of the Russo-Turkish War and one of the largest battles of the 18th century. In 1812, after the Russo-Turkish War, there was an intense russification of the native population during the occupation of Basarabia by the Russian Empire during this period (1812–1856, 1878–1917). Between 1813 and 1850, the Tsarist government colonized some of the region with Russians, Ukrainians, Bulgarians, and Gagauz. These ethnic groups now constitute 21% of the population of the district.
Animal life includes typical European steppe fauna, with the presence of mammals, such as foxes, hedgehogs, deer, wild boar, polecat, wild cat, ermine and others. Birds include partridges, crows, eagles, starling and swallow.
The hydrographic network is based on the Prut River and the Danube River, which forms meadows, ponds, natural lakes. The two biggest natural lakes in Moldova are in this region, Manta (21 km2) and Beleu (11 km2).
Soil chernozems (75%) in valleys and plains and brown soil on the plateau. The highest point of the district is Veverița Hill, 408 meters