Forest Trees
Coat_of_Arms_Calarasi_Moldova.png

Călărași

About Us

The city is an industrial centre for lumber and paper, food processing, glass manufacturing, textiles, medical equipment production and heavy industry, the last represented by the Călărași steel works. The city is known colloquially as "Capșa provinciei" (the Capșa from the provinces)

Stone Wall

Why visiting us?

The name of Călărași has two possible causes: the first would be that the crossing point from the Ottoman Empire to Wallachia was guarded by a cavalry captaincy, and another would be to take over by extension the name of the village of Călărași Vechi, because from that village and city were recruit the best riders for the army

History

Călărași appeared for the first time in 1700 on a map drawn by Constantin Cantacuzino. It got its name after it was made by the Wallachian princes, in the 17th century, a station of "mounted couriers' service" on the route from Bucharest to Constantinople. The service was operated by horseback riders (the Călărași). It expanded into a small town, and in 1834 became the surrounding county's capital.

Biosphere

Phytogeographically, the territory of Călărași and its surroundings is located at the contact of two subzones of natural vegetation: steppe and pond. In this situation, the spontaneous vegetation is varied and rich in specimens.

Hydrosphere

Located in the Danube basin, at the contact of two geographical subunits of the Romanian Plain: Bărăgan Plain and Danube Meadow, the territory of Călărași municipality has a varied hydrological potential, consisting of groundwater with a strong, ascending character, able to provide considerable flows. 

Lithosphere

The agricultural lands occupy an area of 64.2% of the suburbs, of which 97.8% are arable. The soils, consisting mostly of different types of chernozems and alluvial soils, have a high fertility, which allows the widespread practice of agriculture, predominantly being the cereal character of plant production.