Glodeni District is a district in northwestern Moldova, with its administrative center at Glodeni. As of 1 January 2011, its population was 61,900. The district consists of 35 localities, 18 communes, 16 villages and one city
Why visiting us?
The oldest area in the district is the Cobani, which dates back to June 3, 1374. Other old localities include Balatina, Camenca, Cuhnești, and Iabloana, founded between 1429 and 1442. During the 15th–17th centuries Glodeni continued to develop as a trade and economic region, with a significant increase in population. In 1616, a district center was documented as Glodeni.
Since the 17th and 18th centuries, the region has been fueled by wars with the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottoman and Russian Empires. In 1812, the region was occupied by the Russian Empire; with the local population of Moldovans and Ukrainians, Russians constitute 22 percent of the population. After the collapse of the Russian Empire in 1917, Bessarabia decided to unite with Romania. In 1940, Bessarabia was occupied by the USSR after the Molotov–Ribbentrop pact. From 1944 to 1991, the Glodeni District was part of the Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic (MSSR)
The district has fauna typical of Central Europe, including fox, weasel, marten, deer, woodpecker, turtle dove and pheasant in forests and boar, ondatra, otter, duck, wild cat, egret near the Prut. gopher, field mice, rabbits and partridges inhabit the steppe regions.
Smaller rivers include the Camenca, Căldăruşa and the Glodeni (in the Prut basin) and Copăceanca (in the Răut River basin). The district contains 1,900 hectares (4,700 acres) of lakes and ponds, which are popular summer retreats for tourists and local people.