Nisporeni is a district in west-central Moldova, with its administrative center at Nisporeni. According to the 2014 census, its population was 53,154; most are Moldovans.
Why visiting us?
The 15th to 18th centuries were marked by economic (trade and agriculture) and cultural development (the construction of monasteries and churches) and population growth. The city of Nisporeni was first mentioned by Gaspar Graziani in his book dated 4 January 1618. According to Graziani, at that time Nisporeni was ruled by Farima Nicolae II, descendant of the Farima dynasty and cousin of Michael the Brave. Nicolae II is one of Moldova's national heroes. Local people were primarily involved in farming (grapes and other fruit) and hunting.
In 1812, after the Russo-Turkish War (1806-1812), the Russian Empire occupied Basarabia; during the period 1812–1917, there was an intense russification of the native population. In 1918, after the collapse of the Russian Empire, Bessarabia united with Romania; during this period (1918–1940, 1941–1944), Nisporeni District was part of Chișinău County. After the 1940 Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty, Basarabia was occupied by the USSR. In 1991, as a result of the independence of Moldova, Nisporeni District became part of Ungheni County (1991–2003); in 2003, it became a separate administrative unit.
Fauna is typical of that found in European forests and includes fox, deer, red deer, spotted deer, badger, wild boar, raccoon dog, wolf and wildcats. Birds include hawk, owl, cuckoo, eagle and stork.
The Prut, which crosses the district in the west, borders Romania; its principal tributaries are the Nîrnova and the Lăpușna. The Cogâlnic River, which flows into the Black Sea, rises in the district. There are also 45 ponds, with a total area of 1,580 hectares.